The purpose of this policy is to outline professional presentation expectations for both staff and students. Maintaining professional presentation standards are an integral aspect of the institution’s commitment to providing graduates and staff with the professional attributes they need to succeed in their chosen industry.
This policy applies to all staff and students across all campuses.
3. Policy statements
Professional presentation and grooming expectations are outlined below. It is noted that course specific attire may also be required and details of which are provided to students upon enrolment and orientation.
3.1 Business attire:
The dress standard for both staff and students is full business attire. Full business attire is required as follows:
- when attending scheduled classes at all campuses;
- All front of house areas Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm;
- on institution-led excursions;
- when undertaking academic activity in applied subjects;
- during open days;
- when undertaking examinations; and
- when representing the institution business situations.
3.2 Male business attire
- full business suit – coordinated jacket and trousers;
- business shirt – collared, long sleeved;
- leather belt (colour to match shoes);
- enclosed business shoes;
- facial hair must be clean shaved or neat and trimmed; and
- hair to be short or tied back.
3.3 Female business attire
- full business suit (business jacket worn with a coordinated business skirt, trousers or dress);
- skirts/dresses should be no more than 5cm above the knee;
- professional business shirt or top;
- enclosed business shoes;
- makeup should be minimal and natural; and
- hair to be of natural colour and neatly styled (no ostentatious colours or accessories).
Exclusions to the business attire rules above are as follows:
- on days when smart casual attire is permitted;
- on weekends and public holidays;
- in eating areas (e.g. Student Bar, CYC and Market Place) noting that footwear must conform with Work Health and Safety standards;
- after hours when there are no outside guests on-site;
- during hot days business attire can be changed to business casual attire when campus management deem the day too hot for business attire (26 degrees and above or 85%+ humidity).
Notifications will be announced on the ICMS app.
3.4 Smart casual attire
During the term, there will be specific days where the use of full business attire is not required. Charity donations are usually collected from students who do not wear business attire. Smart casual attire must adhere to the following:
- remain appropriate for a multi-national/cultural campus;
- any political, religious or any general profanity statements not permitted; and
- flip flops, thongs, jangles, sandals and/or CROCS not permitted.
During the main summer break (December – February) smart casual attire may be worn on campus.
3.5 Business casual attire
Business casual attire may be worn on hot days when it is above 26 degrees or 85%+ humidity as follows:
- students may remove their jackets, tie/cravat and open the top button of their shirts; and
- name badges should be moved to the shirt/top.
The following general presentation standards should be maintained as follows:
- staff and students are expected to wear their name badges and have their ID on them at all times while on campus;
- staff and students are expected to maintain personal hygiene; and
- staff and students are expected to wear clothes that have been freshly ironed and shoes polished in good repair.
3.7 Non compliance
Staff and students are expected to follow the requirements outlined in this policy. Formal breaches to this policy will be managed in accordance with the General Misconduct Policy and General Misconduct Procedures. Staff will be subject to an informal warning from their line managers.
4. Roles and responsibilities
4.1 Policy owner: Work Integrated Learning Manager
4.2 Executive Management Group (EMG): the EMG has overall responsibility for implementation of the policy in liaison with the policy owner.
Approved by the Board of Directors on 12 December 2017